International students may work on campus as soon as their program of study begins. “On-campus employment” is employment performed on the school premises, and which provides direct services to students. International students may not work for employers on-campus who do not provide services to students, such as a contractor building a new building. International students may be employed in any of the offices on campus, Saint Stop, Java City as well as The Cafe.


On-campus employment does not need to be related to a student’s field of study. However, the student must maintain legal status at all times. If the student’s F-1 status changes (completion of program, change of immigration status, etc.), employment is no longer allowed.



In order to be eligible for on campus employment, an international student must be a full time student. On-campus employment can take the form of a job in an academic or administrative department.


International students do not qualify for Federal “work-study” positions.



  • Federal regulations prohibit F-1 students from working more than 20 hours per week when school is in session.
  • A work week is generally defined as Sunday through Saturday.
  • The 20-hour-per-week limit on employment applies to all positions combined. For example, if a student works 15 hours a week in the cafeteria, he or she can only work an additional 5 hours during that week at the bookstore.
  • 20 hours per week is not an average, but a strict limit. Students may not work 15 hours one week and then 25 hours the following week.
  • Full time employment is allowed only during official breaks (Spring, Winter and Summer). A vacation period starts the Sunday after classes are out of session and end the Saturday before classes resume.



A Social Security Number (SSN) is primarily used for the reporting of wages (income) for people who are authorized to work and for determining eligibility for social security benefits. It is intended only for employment purposes. It is a taxpayer identification number. If you are working on campus, then you will need to apply for a SSN. A Social Security Number and card does not constitute permission to work. It is not proof of citizenship or residency.

International students are eligible for social security numbers only if they have evidence of employment. If you do not have a job, you will not be eligible to apply for a SSN.

After you have been offered a job, you will need to apply for a SSN.