Direct Links
Presentation College

← Back to News Articles

PC nursing student receives prestigious award

Kaitlyn Randall, a senior nursing student at Presentation College, has recently been named Outstanding Student Nurse of South Dakota by the Nursing Student Association. The announcement was made at the 2014 Annual State Nursing Convention of South Dakota in Sioux Falls. PC students and advisors attended the convention the weekend of March 21-22.

The NSASD is a pre-professional organization for the state and connected with National Student Nurses Association. The organization is comprised of students who are preparing for their RN Licensure. NSASD provides educational opportunities for student nurses through leadership, education, scholarship, legislature, and career networking. 

Randall and ten candidates from nursing schools across South Dakota were nominated to receive the prestigious award. PC Nursing Professor, Margie Washnok, and the Chair of the Nursing Department, Illa Reeve, selected Randall to represent her classmates. Each association chapter is allowed to nominate one student in the last year of nursing school for the competition, and that candidate completes an essay and interview at the convention. Eligibility requirements include: academic excellence, ability to work well in team relationships; ability to recognize and meet physical, social, psychological and spiritual needs of the client; demonstrate a sense of responsibility in carrying out nursing assignments and knowledge of current events; and a range of interests beyond nursing.

Randall titled her essay, “Waves of Change: Oceans of Opportunity” after the convention’s theme, which represents the “waves of change” that are hitting the healthcare industry and the “oceans of opportunity” that those changes provide to professional nurses in the healthcare setting.

“Kaitlyn’s life experiences in and out of the classroom have shaped her into a well-rounded nursing professional. She demonstrates care for the whole person and is an ideal candidate for this type of award,” said Washnok.

A native of Aberdeen, Randall transferred to PC her sophomore year to pursue her interest in nursing.

“I didn’t always know I wanted to go into the field of nursing, but now I know it’s where I was meant to be. Presentation College helped me discover that,” said Randall. “Without the level of accountability my professors held me to and the sense of support I felt after I transferred, I wouldn’t be where I am today.”

Randall’s future plans include graduating with her Bachelors of Science degree in May, and to someday work in Oncology and as a traveling nurse in areas with nursing shortages.

← Back to News Articles