Direct Links
Presentation College

← Back to News Articles

Alumni Spotlight: Shane Franks ’02

Shane Franks 2
Alumni Spotlight:
Shane Franks, ’02 PC Business Graduate

Just two weeks prior to the start of the semester in 1998, Shane Franks, 2002 PC graduate received a call from a Presentation College recruiter offering him a basketball scholarship to play for the Saints. Feeling hopeful and very blessed, Franks jumped at the opportunity and made the long journey from the small island of St. Kitts in the Caribbean to Aberdeen, S.D. Franks had nearly given up on the dream of going to college in the United States that year, especially with the semester right around the corner.

“I didn’t know what to expect, I was so busy packing and getting ready for this new chapter in my life; I didn’t have time to research the college and community before I arrived,” he said. “When I arrived, I was welcomed with open arms. The people and community were refreshing; I had never experienced such warmth and acceptance that I did of that at PC.”

Franks, now a Portfolio Operations Manager at Schwan Financial, describes the education he received at Presentation College as very valuable and frequently uses the skills he learned through his business classes daily at his current job.

He credits the morals and values he was taught as a student at PC in helping shape him into the father and ardent professional he is today.

“After the four years I spent at Presentation College, I started looking at people at a more personal level, a lot of the generalization I focused on prior to my education slowly withered away,” Franks said. “The teachers and community taught me how to focus on the similarities I shared with my peers rather than the one or two differences. It’s a quality I learned at college that has brought me further in life.”

While at PC, Franks was a recipient of the first-ever President’s Award and won the Excellence in Writing Award. Franks played on the men’s basketball team, captained the men’s soccer team, served as the assistant woman’s basketball coach and resident assistant in the dorms, and also worked on the maintenance crew in the summers. 

“Honestly, before I graduated I felt like I was part of the staff. Presentation College allowed me to be as involved in my education as I could,” he said. “As a student, you spend so much time with staff and teachers in and out of class; it began to feel more like a working relationship. I always knew that they had the student’s best interest in mind and that they cared if we succeeded.”

Franks graduated Summa Cum Laude from PC in 2002, but still remains involved with the college and says he will always to be available to help PC. Frank’s goal is to go to more Saints games this year, but now is a father of four Saints of his own.

If you would like to nominate a PC alum to be featured in an Alumni Spotlight, or are interested in sharing your story, please email kelli.krause@presentation.edu.

← Back to News Articles